fbpx

FARMING

Stewards of This Land

Soil Management

Based on results from three small test vineyards that we had farmed previously — each located on different soil types –we determined that winegrapes ripened extremely well in decomposed granite soils. We selected and moved to our land for the sole purpose of growing quality winegrapes in just that type of soil. We found it in Hoover’s Valley in the Texas Hill Country, near Marble Falls. Hoover’s Valley is situated within the Llano uplift; a low geologic dome that is about 90 miles in diameter. It consists of an island-like exposure of Precambrian igneous and metamorphic rocks surrounded by outcrops of Paleozoic and Cretaceous sedimentary strata. Our site is nestled within mountain ranges to the East and West that make-up book ends to the Lower Colorado River Basin. We deliberately researched and studied which grapes varieties would be best suited for our particular site. Then, we experimented with those cultivars on a small scale for several years to further determine whether or not they would ripen properly at our vineyard location (our library block planting). Finally, we put those grapes into the barrel/bottle. Once all that came together beautifully, we planted the best of those grape varieties on a commercial scale. This process is ever-changing and ongoing, which is one of the reasons we love it so much. New weather patterns, pests, diseases, etc. are ever challenging what we “know”, thus we remain humble and never go unchallenged in the vineyard.

Varietals We Grow

  • Aglianico
  • Cabernet Sauvignon
  • Dolcetto
  • Grenache
  • Malbec
  • Montepulciano
  • Mourvedre
  • Muscat Canelli
  • Petite Sirah
  • Picpoul Blanc
  • Roussanne
  • Syrah
  • Tempranillo
  • Touriga Nacional
  • Viognier

Sustainability

Growing premium winegrapes in Texas is an expensive endeavor. In any given spring we expend extraordinary amounts of energy to prune the previous year’s growth in order to control crop load of the current vintage, individually position and tie shoots, along with pulling leaves in the fruiting zone to improve sunlight exposure and canopy ventilation, to thin the crop for a proper balance of foliage to fruit, and finally to install bird netting on 12.5 miles of vineyard trellis.

In all of our vineyard endeavors, we consider ourselves gardeners and stewards of the land – responsible for making our site more fertile for our grandchildren than it is presently. With each year’s harvest, vital nutrients are depleted from the soils. As such, each year we diligently rebuild the soil with organic composts, mulches and compost tea applications in order to add back to the soil in a responsible and sustainable manner. We also dose out varying amount of seaweed, fish oil, kelp and molasses through the drip irrigation system in order to feed the microbes in the soil. Those microbes then break down the nutrients dripped, along with the various nutrients in the compost, making those macro and micro nutrients readily available to the vines. Once the microbes die, they also create an additional nitrogen source for the grapevines. Essentially, we build our fruit from the ground up.

Our Fruit

  • On average 70% of our wine is produced from estate grown fruit, the other 30% comes from fruit sourced in the Texas High Plains.
  • Our 16 acre estate vineyard is one of the largest in our AVA. (Texas Hill Country American Viticultural Area)
  • We use 100% Texas fruit.

Our Offerings

We are committed to producing the finest wines sourced from 100% Texas grown fruit. This is our offering to you.

White

Rosé

Red